My father has had Chronic Lymphocytic Leukemia since 2004. Despite receiving chemotherapy, he came to visit me last week with bruises and muscle pain. He told me that every night for the last two years he wakes up 7 times a night with muscle pains! That must just be terrible, I thought!
Within 24 hours of staying with me, he slept through the night – no muscle pains. Why? Because I made all his food gluten-, dairy-, and refined-sugar-free. He was no longer in pain because his body wasn’t reacting to foods it can’t process properly!
I wanted to share this story with you because it’s so important that we remember our bodies are sacred and beautiful things, and it’s easy to forget to treat them with respect and kindness. Part of that is putting the best possible nutrients into our bodies – and making sure we keep the toxins out! Gluten and dairy are really problematic for most people’s bodies (and refined sugar is really problematic for everyone’s bodies!).
As you’ve probably noticed (from previous blog posts, etc.), I usually eat Paleo, which means NO dairy, grains (including wheat/gluten), refined sugar, legumes, refined vegetable oils, potatoes, and processed foods. I know that sounds like a lot, but what’s left over is foods that are (generally) really nutritious and great for our bodies – grass-fed meats, fish/seafood, fresh fruit and veggies, eggs, nuts and seeds, and healthful oils.
Now, you will always hear me say that not one lifestyle or one diet fits all – not even Paleo – BUT if you are having food, weight, or health issues, Paleo might be a good place for you to start!
I baked my favorite Paleo French Toast recipe for my father the entire week he was here and he felt amazing AND got to eat delicious breakfast! Try my French Toast recipe and let me know what you think:
Paleo Sandwich Bread
- 3 cups smooth cashew butter
- 10 pastured eggs
- 6 TBSP maple syrup
- 1 TBSP apple cider vinegar
- ¾ cup almond milk
- ¾ cup coconut flour
- 1 TBSP baking soda
- 1 tsp sea salt
- Mix all ingredients in a blender.
- Pour into 2 greased silicone bread “pans.”
- Bake in 300 degree Farenheit oven for 50 minutes or until knife comes out clean.
- Let sit for 5 minutes and then cool on baking rack.
Paleo Oven French Toast
- 1 loaf of cubed Paleo Sandwich Bread
- 1 ½ cups frozen mixed organic berries
- 6 pastured eggs
- 1 cup lite coconut milk
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 TBSP ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground nutmeg
- ½ tsp ground ginger
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 TBSP vanilla extract
- Mix bread cubes and berries together in 8×8 inch glass pan.
- Mix remaining ingredients and pour over the top of the bread and berries.
- Bake in 350 degree Fahrenheit oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let dish sit for 15 minutes. Enjoy!
For an entire cookbook full of recipes curated by me, CLICK HERE! It’s free!
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.