You have likely heard by now that bone broth is good for you. You might have also heard that everyone should be drinking it. As with everything else, this is not true. There is a specific gene that some people have trouble with that makes bone broth, and fermented and aged foods such as sour kraut and yogurt and kombucha and alcohol and cheese, the cause of migraine headaches, depression, and fatigue. Want to know if you are one of the 35% of the population with this problem? You can order a genetic test and an appointment with me to read it for you here.
For the rest of us, bone broth has a lot of great health benefits. I love it and happen to make the best bone broth I have ever tasted. I am providing my recipe here so you can give it a try. Bone broth is packed with a nutritional punch that ancient cultures from around the world knew about. It’s now making a splash in our era for some very good reasons. I have listed 10 of them here.
The Top 10 Reasons to Drink Bone Broth
- Anti-Aging: Bone broth is rich in collagen which is not only fantastic for joint health, but also healthy hair, skin and nails.
- Anti-Anxiety: The amino acid glycine helps calm and soothe an over-wound nervous system.
- Digestive Healing: Not only does glycine aid in calming nervous energy, but it also helps to boost bile and stomach acid, both of which are essential for breaking down your food into nutrients your body can absorb.
- Gut Wall Repair: Bone broth contains glutamine, another amino acid that is necessary for cellular repair in your gut lining.
- Blood Sugar Balance: Starting my day with bone broth helps start my day with the necessary protein and fat that the body appreciates.
- Hormone Regulation: Because you start your day with a balanced blood sugar and reduced anxiety, your hormones have a better chance of remaining balanced.
- Energy Restoration: The minerals found in bone broth help you sleep better, which allows your gut to heal, your hormones to balance and your body to awaken rested and ready to go.
- A healthy brain: Because bone broth is filled with the healthy fats your brain needs, you have a better chance of retaining and restoring your memory and brain function when you drink it daily.
- Illness Prevention: Bone broth has been used for centuries as an immune boosting super food.
- Pain Prevention: Because bone broth promotes a healthy immune system, aids in gut healing, balances hormones, and improve joint health it also leads to a reduced inflammatory response in your body which prevents pain.
I use bone broth as the base to all of my soups, drink it straight, and add it to sauces. How do you use it? I would love to hear from you.
Dr. Keesha’s Famous Bone Broth Recipe
I eat a roasted chicken or turkey every week. I save that carcass in the freezer if I am not
planning on making broth right away. Sometimes I will save up 2 chicken carcasses to makemy broth so I get twice as much in one session and then freeze it. You can also go to your local butcher to get bones.
- Chicken or turkey carcass or 2 pounds of bones
- 2-3 carrots
- 1 yam or sweet potato
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 onion
- 2-3 celery stalks
- 2 TBSP Apple Cider Vinegar
- Herbs: 1 TBSP sea salt, 2 tsp black pepper, 1 bunch of parsley, 2 tsp rosemary.
Add the bones to a stock pot with the water and add the vinegar. Let them soak for 30 minutes. Then add your veggies and herbs and simmer for the following times for each kind of bones:
- Beef: 48 hours
- Chicken or poultry: 24 hours
- Fish: 8 hours
When finished, remove from heat and allow to cool somewhat. Strain using a metal strainer to remove the bones and veggie chunks. Store in glass jars for 4-5 days or freeze for later.
Leave a Reply
You must be logged in to post a comment.