For pitta symptoms like inflammation, irritability, hot flashes, headaches, hemorrhoids, skin rashes, PMS, and pain:
- Make cilantro shots 1-3 x a day (very cooling for pitta)
- Take one bunch of fresh organic cilantro and divide it into 9 equal parts. This will be enough for 3 cilantro shots a day for 3 days.
- Combine in blender with ½ cup of Lily of the Desert Aloe Detox Formula and blend.
- Drink immediately.
- If you can’t stand the taste of cilantro you can use fresh mint.
2. Enjoy cooling coconut and mint chutneys with your spicy food.
- Cilantro Mint Chutney:
- 1 bunch fresh mint
- 4 oz coconut freshly grated
- 1/2 bunch fresh cilantro
- 1/2 inch piece of ginger root
- Sea salt to taste
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 date
- 2 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1/8 cup onion
- 1/4-1/2 cup water for blending
- Clean the mint leaves and cilantro leaves. Add all ingredients except the water in a blender or food processor; add water as you blend to make it the consistency of pancake batter.
- Cilantro Mint Chutney:
3. Lassis are cooling and come from the tropics of India
- Mango Lassi:
- 1cup coconut milk yogurt
- 1 cup ice water
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 tablespoon rose water
- 1 mango, peeled, cut from pit and cubed or 2 ripe bananas peeled and sliced
- toasted sliced almonds for serving
- Put all ingredients, except almonds, in a blender or food processor and blend until smooth. Sprinkle with almond and serve cold.
- Mango Lassi:
4. Avoid heating foods (night shades, red meat, fried foods, etc.), beverages (caffeine, alcohol, hot drinks) and spices (cayenne, pepper, onions, garlic, cinnamon, cloves, dry ginger, etc).
5. Drink young coconut water.
6. Drink iced mint tea between meals.
7. Rose water spritz to face, neck and arms throughout the day.
8. Massage your head and feet with coconut oil before bed.
9. Spearmint, Peppermint, Lavender, Rose, and Sandalwood are all wonderful essential oils for cooling the effects of an aggravated pitta nature.
10. Stay out of the hot midday sun.
11. Soak a washcloth in iced peppermint oil water and wear around your neck…instant cool!
12. Use aloe and coconut oil on your skin if you do get sun.
13. Use oral supplements with Neem and topical applications of neem for pitta skin aggravations. Turmeric is nature’s anti-inflammatory miracle, but it takes large doses to make a difference. We carry anti-inflammatory
extracts that have been shown to reduce cancer in western medical research.
14. Curled tongue breathing (shitali) 10 rounds:
- During inhalation, curl up both edges of the tongue so that it forms a kind of tube. Breathe in through this tube. The air passes over the moist tongue, cooling down and refreshing the throat. To maintain moisture on the tongue, roll it back as far as possible against the palate. Do this during the entire exhalation through the nose.
15. Meditate. Taking time to center and ground will calm anyone’s mind!
16. Visualize a peaceful place. Recall the most peaceful place in nature you have ever been to or can imagine on the planet. Direct your attention to the space between your eyebrows, known as the third eye. Imagine this spot as a circle (or like an eye). Pretend there are curtains over the circle and as you draw them aside you see this beautiful natural place you are thinking of. Engage with the place with all five senses. If it’s the ocean, feel the warm sand between your toes and the sun on your hair, smell the salt in the air, listen to the waves and gulls and swaying palm trees, see the brightness of the water and the dolphins frolicking in the ocean, taste the salt on your tongue from the spray as the waves crash upon the beach. Spend five minutes here and you will reduce your pitta!
17. Listen to calming, sacred music (Snatam Kaur’s CD “Grace” is the best I have found for this).
18. Do some calming yoga postures and finish with shivasana (corpse pose), staying in it for at least five minutes.
19.Express appreciation for everyone and everything around you. Notice what is going right and try not to attach to your challenges. Your reality begins with your thoughts. Make sure those are positive.
20. Volunteer. Serving another takes you out of your own self absorption and brings joy and emotional equanimity.
- Crockpot Paleo Butternut Squash Chicken Chili - August 31, 2020
- The Practice of Tonglen by Pema Chodron (The Cultivation of Compassion) - August 31, 2020
- The 8 Great Fears: A Buddhist Perspective on Anxiety - August 31, 2020