The holidays are usually a time when people indulge in foods that might not be the most health promoting. A piece of holiday candy here and another there, heaping helpings of your favorite potato dish, and before long, you’ve added on some unwanted body weight. Now that the holidays are passed, you might find you are committing to eating for health once again. One easy way of resetting your metabolism is to reconnect to the optimal detox food regimen for at least two weeks. Every time the season changes it’s a good idea to do a 21-day detox. You can find recipes and supplements all in one kit here.
Smoothies can be made using a variety of organic vegetables, clean plant protein, and spices. The possibilities for variety are many. According to Ayurveda, smoothies (when prepared properly) and some soups are easier on the digestive system. If taken as a part of a three-week detox program, they can also assist with reaching weight goals.
New Year’s Detox Smoothie
- 2 cups organic seasonal greens (kale, chard, tatsoi, dandelions, arugula etc.)
- 1 scoop Pure and Paleo plant-based protein powder
- 1 cup warm water (adding ice cubes kills your digestive fire…warm is better)
- ¼ cup pumpkin seeds, sesame seeds, sunflower seeds or hemp seeds (eliminate these if you have a Kapha body type)
- 2 TBSP ground flaxseeds
- 1-inch piece of fresh ginger
- 1 small carrot
- ½ lemon, lime, or grapefruit juiced
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Blend all ingredients in a high-powered blender and enjoy.